What to Look for in a Newborn Photographer
It might seem difficult to choose a newborn photographer, but it doesn't have to be! When narrowing down your options to discover the ideal match for you and your new family, there are a few key factors to consider and questions you should be asking to find the photographer that's right for you.
Things to consider -
- When you are looking for a newborn photographer, it is important to consider their portfolio. This will give you an idea of their style and approach. It is also important to find someone whose work you connect with and who you feel comfortable entrusting your new baby with. Some photographers only offer posed, studio-style newborn photography, while others may offer a more natural, lifestyle approach. Choose the type of photographer and style that you feel best fits your needs and personality.
- When it comes to newborn photography, experience is key. Be sure to ask your potential photographer how long they have been photographing newborns and how many shoots they typically do in a week. This will give you an idea of their comfort level and expertise. It's also important to make sure they are up-to-date on all the latest safety guidelines and have a solid plan in place for ensuring your baby's comfort and well-being during the shoot.
- Some photographers like to use props in their newborn shoots, while others prefer to keep things simple. If you have a specific vision in mind for your photos, be sure to discuss it with your photographer beforehand. If you're not sure what you want, ask to see examples of prop-based shoots they've done in the past.
- Newborns can be unpredictable, so it's important to choose a photographer who is prepared for anything. Make sure they have a backup plan in place in case your baby gets fussy or doesn't cooperate during the shoot.
- Remember, you're entrusting your new baby to this person, so it's important that you feel comfortable with them. Take the time to find someone whose personality you connect with and who you would feel confident entrusting your new bundle of joy with.
QUESTIONS TO ASK -
-WHAT EXPERIENCE DO YOU HAVE?
It's important to find someone who has extensive experience photographing newborns. You want to be sure they know how to handle your baby safely and gently, and that they have the skills and knowledge to get the best possible photos.
-DO YOU HAVE ANY FORMAL TRAINING?
It's helpful to find someone who has had some formal training in photography, but it's not necessary, as long as you connect with their work and feel comfortable with them. However, formal training in posing babies safely is definitely something to consider! If they have this type of training, it means they know how to gently pose your baby in order to get the best possible photos and keep your baby safe. This can be especially important if you have a preemie or a high-needs baby.
-DO YOU HAVE INSURANCE?
Make certain that your photographer is covered by a professional liability insurance policy in case of an accident. You'll feel more secure knowing that you and your child are protected as a result of this.
-ARE YOU VACCINATED?
With the state of the world since COVID-19, it's handy to know whether your photographer has up-to-date vaccinations. Not only for Covid but also for Influenza & Whooping Cough. This will protect you and your baby from any infections that may occur.
As you conclude your search for a newborn photographer, keep in mind that not all photographers are created equal. While some may have years of experience, others may be starting out with little to no experience. It's important to do your research and ask the right questions before booking someone to capture your baby's first few weeks of life. As mentioned above, be sure to check out their portfolio & personality and make a decision that you feel comfortable with. If you'd like to arrange a call with Amanda and the Team at AF Photographer, to discuss the options they provide, please let us know.